Pricing motivation

Hey guys,

Could you tell us more about the pricing and how you came up with these?

All Nuke version are roughly double the price compared to regular licenses.
Modo is just crazy expensive- a regular subscription is $599/year and here it’s $267/month?
Blender, which is free, is $244/month?

And why is the only option monthly subscription? I read that it’s limited to 200 hours too? Where’s the logic in this? While I’d appreciate that 200 hours, which is about 9h/day (averaging 22 working days/month), is a sound working environment sometimes we need to pitch in more than that.

Hourly (or even by the minute) rental would make more sense for something like this- being able to scale up/down on the fly is what could really make something like Athera useful.

I understand that you need to charge something for the infrastructure and “hardware” but these prices/choices doesn’t really make any sense.

Cheers,
Janak

I have to agree, the pricing structures seem fairly out of alignment for the intended freelance or small studio target audience for this.

Personally I wouldn’t even consider such a monthly subscription plan unless I could use it for an unlimited amount of time for the 30 days.

I also already own Nuke Studio and a fairly good workstation, certainly matching if not better than the “power” options specs listed in another thread. I was considering Athera when I first heard about it when it was still called Elara, thinking that it might serve me better than what I currently had. But at these prices It just makes way more sense for me to get my own hardware instead.

It’s an interesting concept for sure and I’ll be keeping my eye on it, but for now it just doesn’t make any sense for me.

Hi Kyle and Janak. I will combine questions from both of you into one set of answers.

First, thank you both for the valuable feedback. Your thoughtfulness and time spent posting is appreciated.

All Nuke version are roughly double the price compared to regular licenses.

Athera has 3 main cost components: the software license, the cost to run Athera itself, and the cost of the cloud workstation (which I’ll refer to as “compute” - but not to be confused with Athera Compute, which is the rendering aspect of Athera). Only a portion of the price is the cost of the actual Nuke license.

Modo is just crazy expensive- a regular subscription is $599/year and here it’s $267/month?
Blender, which is free, is $244/month?

The price, in the case of Blender, is strictly the compute and operating cost for Athera. We (obviously :smile:) don’t charge a license fee for Blender.

And why is the only option monthly subscription?

Personally I wouldn’t even consider such a monthly subscription plan unless I could use it for an unlimited amount of time for the 30 days.

Athera does not use a subscription model. There is no month-to-month commitment, and all purchases are one-time and non-recurring.

I read that it’s limited to 200 hours too? Where’s the logic in this? While I’d appreciate that 200 hours, which is about 9h/day (averaging 22 working days/month), is a sound working environment sometimes we need to pitch in more than that.

The reason is that a portion of compute time is baked into the price, but there needs to be a reasonable upper limit to prevent the cost to Athera from going through the roof. This is why we chose a sweet spot of 200 hours as the fair use limit during the 30 day period.

I also already own Nuke Studio and a fairly good workstation, certainly matching if not better than the “power” options specs listed in another thread.

Today, Athera isn’t targeted at folks who already have sufficient licenses: you would end up double-paying for licenses with Athera if this is your situation! A bring your own license feature is planned for later this year. This feature is designed specifically for people who want to use their existing paid-for licenses while also benefitting from collaboration and scalable compute in the cloud.

But at these prices It just makes way more sense for me to get my own hardware instead.

One thing we heard during Beta testing is that some users find it handy to be able to fire up multiple apps in Athera without tying up a single workstation. We also heard that some users find it nice to be able to have a virtual workstation adapted to each tool.

Hourly (or even by the minute) rental would make more sense for something like this- being able to scale up/down on the fly is what could really make something like Athera useful.

Now for stuff that hopefully addresses some of the major concerns:

As I said previously, currently compute and licenses are bundled into a single price. We are working hard on a feature called Olympus which aims to un-bundle apps from compute. We think Olympus will be a good thing because it opens more flexibility, control, and elasticity to Athera’s pricing.

The idea behind Olympus is that you could purchase compute and apps and plug-ins separately, and mix & match them as you see fit. For example, you could purchase time blocks of several different levels of compute power, in exactly the amounts you need, and run a single app over whichever level of power you require from time to time. Or you could run several different apps over a single time block of compute power. In the case of Blender, this would play out to paying only for the compute time you actually use.

Olympus will not make apps themselves available on a shorter time-scale than 30 days at a time, but it does do so for compute. We hope this is a step in the right direction. Feedback on the concept of Olympus is very welcome!